We will be showing our group project to the general public from Thursday 15th to Saturday 17th may. The venue for this is a shop within a shopping centre, and will provide us with a good opportunity for learning about how to deal with questions and comments from the general public. This will also act as a preview of the project that we are hoping to show at a potential venue in September. To accompany our installation at the shopping centre me and Reece are creating a booklet that features information and pictures of some of the completed assets and building in the game engine, as well as photos of the real assets and buildings to show the comparison.
Not only will this help to show people how parts of the Paragon Station area looked like 100 years ago, it will also help to give people an insight into the techniques and processes that go into game development and the design process it entails.
This is the format that we have come up with for the booklet which includes the logo for our project ‘Paragons Past’ which was designed by Scott and Sam.
The old entrance to Hull’s Paragon station hasn’t existed for about 50 years, but in our setting of 1914 it was relatively new and needed to be included in the project. Reference images of the outside of the structure are scarce and I couldn’t find any of the interior structure , so I just had to use my own judgement or guess work.
This is the structure that welcomed train passengers at Hull’s Paragon Station 100 years ago.
This is the model without textures.
Here are a few different views of the textured model.
After being informed that a ‘coal cart’ is called a Tender and that they mainly carried water, I decided to try to make the Tender more true to life by removing buffers, adding a coupling, adding a water valve and changing the profile of the floor.
During the age of the steam train, a water tank used for filling the boilers of a steam engines would have been a familiar sight in and around train stations. Adding this asset to our group project adds a little more authenticity to our environment.
Adding a further touch of realism to a virtual environment is something that most games designers strive to achieve, and this is true in our group project too. Getting our models in to the game engine with a texture on it is only part of the process. The trouble is that the models look too new and clean, in the real world any object that is exposed to the elements of the passage of commuters through a busy train station will leave their mark in the form dirt and weathering.
To add a realistic looking effect to our models our tutor, Paul showed me how to apply a Decal material to a surface in the UDK editor. This involves creating several texture layers to gain the desired look.
Before the moss effect Decal was applied.
After the moss effect decal was applied.
For our group project, we will be adding sounds to our environment in order to deliver a more realistic atmosphere. This will include background sounds and triggered sounds. As a novice to UDK I have done some research and followed some online video tutorials to enable me to have my human model appear to speak when a player walks within the proximity of him.
The above picture shows the location of the trigger and of the sound cue.
Building a human asset to populate our environment was relatively easy because I imported a pre-built model from MakeHuman, but it proved to be quite difficult to model the clothes that they would have worn. I achieved this by pushing and pulling vertices into place to give the desired look of clothing, I based my model upon the above photograph.
This is what my model looked like in 3Ds Max before it was textured.
After texturing the model in Photoshop it was then exported into UDK where I set up a lighting effect and a backdrop to show what the model may look like in our environment.
Click on the man to view in 3D.