To promote the year 3 degree show that will feature the works of games design, web design and animation, the group was put into teams that were responsible for various aspects of the degree show set up. I was on the team that was responsible for branding and promotion; as well as having ideas for the logo design, I also produced two contrasting flyer designs that were to promote the event for the public showing.
First I did a simple, yet to the point design that featured mainly text and a small map to direct people to the event.
Although this design was liked by the majority of my peers that I showed it to, our tutor suggested that a more visual design that somehow promotes what we do and hopefully grabs peoples attention may be a better route to go down.
I started to do some research into flyer design on various sites; including the ones below.
During my research the design below popped up several times and really caught my eye; it was this design that inspired and influenced me to create my design.
Find this and more of their work at https://www.behance.net/andersdenkend
To get a 3D feel to the flyer I used 3DS Max to model a scene that would be familiar to video gamers as well as people who are interested in digital media.
In this scene I set up a landscape and the models that would be part of the flyer scene. Then I added a target camera and a three point lighting rig to produce a good quality render.
This is the camera view of the scene.
This is a render of the scene at 4K resolution.
This is the end result that had the logo (designed by Hayley) and text information inspired by the Lovejoy flyer added to it.
Although this flyer was not used to promote our event, it proved to be a good source of research and development for myself.
Throughout the progression of my games design degree, it became clear to me that the main area that appealed to me was environment design and the creation of assets that this includes. The majority of my personal projects and group projects that I have been evolved in have largely consisted of building creation as well as the assets that go with them which untimely make up the environment.
Researching the way that industry professionals go about planning and designing a virtual environment has helped me to produce my own detailed pieces and allowed me to make considerable contributions to the group projects that I have worked upon. The skills that I have gained through my research will hopefully enable me to move into a industry job that is related to the area that I am interested in.
Below are some of the sites that have helped me increase my skill set and produce work that is closer to an industry standard.
Through researching the signage of the period, it became clear that signs used to advertise and promote businesses where hand painted, often perhaps by the owner of the business the sign was above.
To try and recreate this feel for our signage I and others who worked on the project sketched the lettering onto paper and photographed the results. Then through a little manipulation in Photoshop were able to produce some good authentic looking signs that didn’t rely upon computer generated fonts.
Here are two of the signs that I created.
In our western environment, we wanted to try to achieve the look of a real western town. During our research we noticed that large hanging canvass signage was a major way of advertising and promoting of businesses and such. Although I had used cloth before in previous projects, the move to UE4 meant that I had to download the Nvidia PhysX plugin and learn how to use it with 3DS Max, as this is the only way to achieve real time cloth physics that react to wind and gravity in the UE4 engine.
This is the general appearance that is achieved with the cloth modifier, the Apex clothing modifier is added to a mesh which is then weight painted in order to determine the scale of movement that the forces of wind and gravity will have upon the mesh in the UE4 game engine.
Here is the three textures that were used to create the material for the sign, opacity mask to give the appearance of rips and tears in the fabric, the normal or bump texture and the diffuse texture.
Although I wasn’t initially going to model the outside of The Last Resort, I thought that including the exterior and a small section of the street out side of the building would give a more flowing and immersive atmosphere to my project.
This screen capture shows the exterior of The Last Resort as well as showing that the town in which it is located (Venusville) is in fact in side an excavated void on Mars.
This is an in engine view of the exterior of The Last Resort which is still very much work in progress, the textures need tweaking a little but the most important thing that I need to get right is the lighting. There needs to be more of a red-orange Mars like glow to the environment, which is show in the movie.
For the bar area of The Last Resort, I have gathered some images from the internet that are not shown in the movie itself. Some of these have allowed me to see some items such as bottles and drinking cups closer, this in-turn will hopefully assist me in recreating accurate models and textures for use in UE4.
After modeling the exterior of the saloon for our western town, I have now progressed to the texturing of the modular pieces. I have also modeled and textured a pulley arm based upon some reference images.