Paragon Station Brook Street Entrance

The old entrance to Hull’s Paragon station hasn’t existed for about 50 years, but in our setting of 1914 it was relatively new and needed to be included in the project. Reference images of the outside of the structure are scarce and I couldn’t find any of the interior structure , so I just had to use my own judgement or guess work.

BrookAwThis is the structure that welcomed train passengers at Hull’s Paragon Station 100 years ago.

AwningRenderThis is the model without textures.

04Here are a few different views of the textured model.

05

 

06

 

Paragon Project: Train Asset.

Although our project is centered around a train station we only had one completed train engine for the whole station, so I decided to make a steam engine with accompanying coal cart that visually differed from the first one that Adam had already made.

2386.Ken_.-Jc.c1914-copyThis is the reference photo that I used to base my model upon.

2

An early stage of development.7

Later in the process I had made alterations to the front of the tank and the wheels.9

As the inside of the cab wont be seen too much I opted for minimal control detail.TrainsRender02To add more variety I made two textures for the engines in North Eastern Railway (NER) colours.TwoTrainsUDKHere are the completed engines with their coal carts in the UDK engine.

 

 

 

 

Using the Oculus Rift in our Client Related Group Project.

Finally I got to have a go on an Oculus Rift today, and my first impressions of the packaged demo games where a mixed bag really; I was impressed with the level of immersiveness that I was plunged into, but was a little let down be the graphics.
However! when we managed to figure out how to get the Rift running on the UDK engine and played the Paragon Project I was much more impressed with the graphics and the total immersiveness that was we experienced, it actually felt as though I were in Paragon Station.
I feel that this is going to be an excellent way of demonstrating our project to the public in september, although we cannot rely in this as our primary means of displaying our work as some people may not be keen to experience it in this way.

Paragon Project: Building damage using Fracture Voronoi Script.

After speaking to our tutor Gareth Sleightholme about adding some more interactive and visual elements to our group project, he suggested looking in to having a part of my model of the De-Luxe theater collapse or become broken upon collision or through a triggered event in UDK. This was a really good idea and after speaking to fellow student Matt Lane who suggested using a 3Ds Max script plug-in called Voronoi, I was able to produce an animation in 3Ds Max.

Fracture01

Fracture02

Next I would like to get this working in UDK.

CLIENT RELATED PRACTICE: Paragon Project Continuation.

For the client related practice module, we will be continuing with our Paragon group project and I will be further increasing my technical capabilities in order to help progress the project to meet the clients needs.

First I am going to build the Theater De-Luxe, which once stood on the corner of Anlaby Road and Ferensway (now Europa House).DeLuxe2

This photo shows how the theater looked like around 1920.

Deluxe Render

This is the model I made in 3Ds Max, next I will be adding some form of interactivity to the model and then importing it into the UDK engine.